The portico was designed by John Sanders, Barrack Architect, in 1808, and based on an earlier design by the famous architect, James Wyatt, who also designed the main building of the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich.
Above the entrance are statues of the gods Mars (War) and Minerva (Wisdom), supporting the coat of arms of King George III.
The painting of HM The Queen, by Andrew Festing, was commissioned in 1991 to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the founding of the Royal Academy, Woolwich, one of the two institutions, along with the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, that were amalgamated to form the present Academy in 1947.
The muskets near the Indian Army Memorial Room are cadet pattern Brown Bess muskets, circa 1812.
At the end of the Sovereign’s Parade, the Adjutant rides up the steps of the Grand Entrance behind the senior cadets, who are passing out that day. This was first done in July 1926 by Major (later Lieutenant General) F A M “Boy” Browning, though no one knows why he did it.Back to the Prestige Rooms