This room was originally the chapel of the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, and was consecrated in 1813. However, when the number of Gentlemen Cadets rose following the abolition of the purchase system for commissions, it was no longer big enough to act as a chapel and became, in turn, a model room, a museum, and later a cadet dining room where Winston Churchill dined while a Gentleman Cadet in the 1890s.

After the break up of the British Indian Army in 1948, the room became the Indian Army Museum and, in 1970, the Indian Army Memorial Room. The stained glass windows, the central chandelier, the crests hanging on the walls and the display of medals, portraits and other artefacts all commemorate the loyal service of the Gurkha Regiment and other regiments of the British Indian Army.

Back to the Prestige Rooms
+